The Young Archaeologists` Club is a UK wide organisation for children aged between 8 and 16 and is the junior section of the Council for British Archaeology. Most branches are run by volunteers and are based in museums, archaeological units, archaeological societies, schools and universities.
Membership to the Young Archaeologists` Club UK costs £9.50 a year. When you join YAC UK, you get a fab membership pack containing:
· a certificate
· a badge
· a membership card
· The latest issue of our quarterly publication Young Archaeologist
(All Club members receive four issues of the Young Archaeologist magazine per year featuring Norman Helmet the archaeological worm. The magazine is packed with stories of recent discoveries, hot off the press news items, reports from our junior correspondents, competitions, questions and answers, and lots of things to make and do!).
· The opportunity to take part in one of our very popular residential holidays.
· The chance to enter our Young Archaeologist of the Year Award competition.
· Information about the nearest local branch in your area.
· Details of the next National Archaeology Days event.
· Free entry to all English Heritage, Cadw Welsh Historic Monuments, Historic Scotland and the Environment and Heritage (Northern Ireland) sites and discounted/free entry to selected museums across the UK.
Bridgend YAC meets in the Bridgend area on the third Saturday of each month between 10am and 12 noon and gives budding Indiana Jones` the opportunity to gain practical experience in archaeology - from weaving Viking textiles to washing and sorting real finds! We wrap mummies, investigate dinosaur footprints, discover the secrets of the Incas and record graves!
To have a look at what we have been up to, or for more information about the club, please visit the Bridend YAC website at www.britarch.ac.uk/yac/bridgend
To request a membership pack, please call Sian Williams 01656 659468 or email us on the email link below.